Firefighters with the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services were busy this weekend and early this morning with two in-county house fires and providing backup on one Fulton County fire.
According to Deputy Chief Tom Bartlett, a midday Saturday fire started in the basement of a home on Morning Creek Lane off Kenwood Road when a resident was transferring gasoline from one canister to another and spilled some of the gasoline. He said the spilled gasoline contacted an ignition source.
Bartlett said the fire spread from the basement into the main floor of the home but that firefighters were able to respond quickly enough for the home to not be a total loss. He said there were no injuries in the fire.
Sunday evening at 7:34, firefighters responded to a house fire on Fayette Brook Way off Corinth Road. Bartlett said the electrical fire started in an upstairs bedroom and was contained quickly with no injuries.
“Early notification on both of them is what allowed for the outcome to be as good as it was,” Bartlett said. “If we can get that call early, that makes all the difference in the world to us.”
Firefighters were called again only a few hours later around 3 a.m. today to assist at a house fire along Hwy. 92 just over the line in Fulton County. Bartlett said Fayette sent an engine and a tanker to assist, but that house was a total loss.