Construction crew causes gas leak, evacuation at FCHS

Construction crew causes gas leak, evacuation at FCHS

The situation is under control, and the Board of Education is devising a release plan after a gas leak led to a full evacuation early today at Fayette County High School.

The construction crew working on the new auditorium at the school was digging and clipped a gas line, causing the leak around 11:30 a.m. 

While there was no smell inside the building, there was a strong odor of gas outside. Students were evacuated to the Center of Innovation and the Lafayette Education Center. 

Crews with Atlanta Gas Light are on the scene working to repair the leak. 

Christopher Dunn

Managing Editor Christopher Dunn has been with the Fayette County News since 2011, in addition to running Fayette Victory magazine. He is a graduate of Fayette County schools, as well as a graduate of Georgia State University with a degree in journalism. Follow him on twitter @fayettesports.