Attempt to remove bees ends in total loss house fire

Attempt to remove bees ends in total loss house fire

This home on Burch Road was a total loss following a Sunday evening fire. (Photo Courtesy of Fayette County Fire & Emergency Services)

An attempt to get rid of pests ended in a devastating house fire Sunday evening. The homeowners, trying to get rid of a nest of bees, lit a stick on fire and pushed it into the underside of the gutter. They were unable to extinguish the fire, and it progressed into the attic.

Units from both the City of Fayetteville Fire Department and Fayette County Fire & Emergency Services responded with full force, but the home on Burch Road in the county was a total loss. None of the occupants were injured. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Fayette County Deputy Fire Chief Tom Bartlett advises using only the proper means to displace bugs and animals around the home. There could be pine straw or paper-backed insulation in a gutter which can readily ignite.

Christopher Dunn

Managing Editor Christopher Dunn has been with the Fayette County News since 2011, in addition to running Fayette Victory magazine. He is a graduate of Fayette County schools, as well as a graduate of Georgia State University with a degree in journalism. Follow him on twitter @fayettesports.